Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who Said Exercise is Good for You?

Well, cardio kick boxing ended last Wednesday. I managed to make it through 4 of the 5 classes. I missed the last one because I had to work late that night. Phooey. I hate not finishing something.

So this month on Wednesdays, the class has changed to Cardio Strength training, and Denise is teaching it. I convinced myself that I could probably do this class, so I signed up.

Oh.My.Word. What the heck was I thinking? I thought they were going to have to call the cute paramdedics last night after about 15 minutes!

I started off great. I managed to get through the warm-ups and the first round of cardio fairly easily. Score one for me for taking the cbk class. I thought the hand weight portion would be a challenge, but would be doable since we started doing the same workout that I do with Denise during PT. Well, what I didn't count on was my arms rebelling and feeling like Jell-o and not being able to lift the 10-pound weights over my head (something I normally can do). Or that I'd push myself to try to do it so hard that I thought I would puke. Or that on the way to the ladies' room, I'd start wheezing and have a hard time breathing. Yikes! That hasn't happened since June!

You wouldn't believe how fast I got back to the studio (wheezing like a kazoo) to grab that inhaler and get a couple of good puffs. I could see a concerned look on Denise's face when I grabbed it - I think she knew I was in a bit of trouble.

Once I caught my breath, what did I do? Jump right back out on the floor and keep going. Yeah, I'm a goof. I shoulda packed it up and gone home right then, but I hate giving up. I slowed down the cardio a bit and used lighter weights for the next 20 minutes, but by all that is holy I was going to finish that class!!!!!!!

I left the gym convinced that it was too hard and I should drop out.

This morning I got up, packed my workout clothes and convinced myself to go get on the treadmill tonight and build some more cardio stamina so that next Wednesday might not be as hard.

Until next time,

Kel

No comments: