Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gratitude Challenge #9


I was having a hard time thinking of something in my life that I could be thankful about today. At lunch time, I went to an appointment at the sleep disorder clinic to pick up supplies for my CPAP machine - a new mask, hose and filters. That's when it hit me: I'm very thankful for that dreadful CPAP machine.

I have sleep apnea. I'm not sure how long I've had it, but I've known that I snore when I sleep for quite some time. There are several of my friends who won't share a hotel room with me when we travel because my snoring kept them awake. I first suspected that I might have sleep apnea about a year ago. I was tired all the time, and by 2:00 in the afternoons, was practically falling asleep at my desk. I couldn't get through the weekend without taking a 3-4 hour nap each day. Soon after, I started waking up gasping for air several times a night. That was a big clue. Then one day on my way home from work, I dozed off while driving. I was on a stretch of the freeway that had a steep drop off on the right side and my car started drifting. Luckily, the car on my left saw me, and started blowing his horn at me. I was jolted back to reality and recovered without crashing my car and injuring myself or worse yet, someone else. It scared the CRAP out of me. That night I decided to go talk to my doctor.

She immediately called the sleep clinic and got the ball rolling. On my first visit, it didn't take them long to diagnose the apnea. On my second, I was fitted with the stupid mask and machine to keep me breathing during the night.

I've been using the machine for about six months now, and as I told the technician today, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I hate having to deal with putting it on every night and hate the fact that I have to use it. But, every morning, I wake up rested and refreshed and realize that I love that machine for helping me to get a full night's sleep.

So, yeah, I'm very thankful today for my CPAP, no matter how much I hate it each night!

Until next time,

Kel

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Wow. My husband is a heavy snorer and I fear he may have that (other symptoms too). I need to check into it and force (yes, force) him to go to the doctor