Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gratitude Challenge #25


Wow. It's Thanksgiving day. This year seems to have slipped away so quickly and we're in the countdown to 2009.... I find it hard to believe.


This morning, as I sit here watching the Macy's parade, I can't think of just one thing that I'm thankful for: I'm overwhelmed with emotion as many things cross my mind that I'm grateful for:



  • My family: Even though we're miles apart, we're still very close. I talk to my Dad (and sometimes my Mom - if she happens to answer the phone!) just about every day. I talk to my sister Jamie quite often and I travel with my favorite Aunt, Loretta, to fun destinations (like Disney World) many times.

  • My health: I have a few health issues, but thankfully, I've found the tools to keep them in check and have found the strength I need to stay focused on keeping myself moving.

  • My dog: Well, what can I say? I love that little dog, no matter how annoying.

  • My job: I moan and groan about going to work every day. But, in today's economy, I'm ever so thankful to have a great job in an office that has great harmony and teamwork.

  • My friends: I've surrounded myself with some really wonderful women (and men!) who support me, cry with me, cheer with me and smack me on the head to keep me grounded and focused.

  • My country: I was just listening to James Taylor sing "America the Beautiful" from the Macy's parade. It reminded me how lucky and privileged we are to live in this great country and have the freedom that we sometimes take for granted. The next four years are going to be exciting ones for us here with our new President and leadership.

And finally, today I'm most thankful for my "family away from home" - the Galindo family. I've been in California for 19-1/2 years now, and for 18 of the last 19 Thanksgivings, my good friends Marie and Hank Galindo have opened their home and hearts and welcomed me (and many others!) to their family celebration. The only Thanksgiving I've missed with them: 2004 when I went to Disney World with my 'real' family. Not only have I spent all these Thanksgivings with them, but many Chrstamases, Easters, birthdays, anniversaries, trips to Reno and random days with them. They truly are my family away from home.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!


Until Next Time,


Kel


No comments: