Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Gratitude Challenge Post #2

Today, I'd like to express my gratitude to the people in America's history who made this great country what it is today.

This morning at my polling place I got to see democracy at its best. I arrived at 6:30 a.m. (the poll opened at 7:00) and secretly did the happy dance at my coveted #7 spot in line. For whatever reason, everyone there seemed excited and chatty for so early in the morning. I did listen intently to a conversation between a elderly gentleman and the young woman in line behind him as they talked about the voting process.

You see, the gentleman was in his 80's and was proud to say he was voting in his fifteenth presidential election. He proudly boasted of his voting record through the last sixty years and how he always votes early on the morning of election day. He's lived in many places throughout his life and has seen many changes in the voting process over the years. He was quite the storyteller, and all of us in line were mesmerized by his wit and charm.

And the young woman? She turned 18 in July and immediately registered to vote, making this her first presidential election. She was so proud to be there, but yet expressed how nervous she was that she'd make the right choices when her turn to vote finally arrived.

The two of them managed to get voting machines side by side and when they were both finished, the man hugged her and she cried tears of happiness.

Where else in the world can you see such a moving display of patriotism so early in the morning???????

Until next time,
Kel

1 comment:

Traci said...

What a great memory of an Election Tuesday!

I love your blog background.. I'm not a saints fan but those graphics look absolutely awesome on your blog!