Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gratitude Challenge #27


Today, I'm thankful for my Mother's fruitcake tin of buttons.


As a kid, one of the things I never really appreciated was my Mother's talent with a sewing machine. She could sew anything from a plain dress to fancy lingere. I remember spending time in the fabic stores with her, looking through the giant McCall's and Simplicity patten books, running my fingers across bolts and bolts of material and helping her pick out 'notions' to go with whatever it was that she was making.


But, I think my favorite thing about her sewing were her buttons. She had oodles of buttons which she kept in a tin from a holidy fruitcake. I can rememer sitting for hours, sifting through the buttons, sorting them by size or by color. There were so many different shapes, colors, sizes and patterns. It seemed like an endless supply. Of course, I had my favorites, but they were all fascinating and each one had a story to tell.


Last year, when my parents visited me, my Mom brought me the fruitcake tin of buttons. I had asked her if I could have them since she was no longer sewing. I wanted to use them in my crafting projects.


What I didn't realize when I got that tin was how attached I am to those danged buttons - I haven't used one yet!!


Until next time,


Kel

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I think I would have a hard time using any of those buttons too if I were you. What a neat memory of growing up and of your mom.

I've always been fascinated by people who had the amazing talent of sewing. It something I tried as a teenager, but never had the patience or talent to continue.