Saturday, December 6, 2008

Choose Joy #4

I woke up in a funk today. I'm not really sure why, but I just felt blah. I even had a really good cry before going to the gym to meet Denise for my personal training session.

The whole day, I seemed to just go through the motions without a lot of thought about what I was doing or what was going on around me. And all day, I kept thinking of this challenge, thinking that I needed to choose joy instead of my all-out funkiness.

It finally happened. I decided to get Chinese food for dinner tonight, so I hopped in the car and drove over to my favorite take-out place. Still feeling the funkiness, I ordered my usual fare (broccoli & beef, green beans & chicken, fried rice and dai chin chicken) and headed back out to the car. As I turned on the car, I noticed a woman with an armload of grocery bags moving between her car and mine, and she turned around and went back around to the other side of her car where she opened the door and started putting the groceries in. I continued to busy myself with my seatbelt and the parking brake and turning on the heater and seat warmer (it was pretty chilly out there!) and just as I was ready to put it in reverse to back out, I saw the woman again, stopped at the front of our two cars. She was waiting for me to pull out so she could get in her car. So, I waited and motioned for her to go ahead and get in. She shook her head no, and motioned for me to go ahead. Poor thing was shivering! So I rolled down the window and told her "go on, get it! It's cold out there - I'll wait for you before I back out!" She rushed to her door and thanked me for being kind enough to wait, and she wished me a Merry Christmas! I wished her a Merry Christmas back, closed my window, and proceeded to back out of my parking space.

And there it was. Without even realizing it, I had chosen Joy by being nice to a stranger in a cold, dark parking lot. Wow.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: