Thursday, March 26, 2009

Special Women #4

Today is a special day for the challenge... please read on!

Is there a woman . . . Who you laugh so hard you cry with?

The answer is: my friend ANGELA.

We met about 7 years ago when I transferred from my law firm's San Francisco office to the Palo Alto location. I wasn't happy about the move at the time and was determined to not make any friends because I didn't want to be there.

My first morning in my new office, in bounces the most annoyingly perky person I had ever met in my life. It was Angela. She was the office's admin assistant and just wanted to say hi and introduce herself and see if there was anything I needed. I thought ok, she seems nice enough even though she's way too perky for me, I think I could like her.

That first encounter proved to be a life chaning moment for me as day by day, I Angela and I became friends, pals and confidantes. Just a couple of months after we met, I told her I was heading home to New Orleans for my cousin Ryan's wedding and she promptly chirped "Hey, that sounds like fun. Can I come along?" And she did. We had the best time that week.

I owe her a lot of thanks because she has helped me to change my life for the better over the years. She's pushed me to make exercise a part of my life - it's because of her support that I'm now just crazy enough to try things like Boot Camp and Zumba AND stick with it. She introduced me to big scary tomatoes and all sorts of other fresh fruits and veggies (remember, I'm from the South, where corn is the most prominent vegetable). And, best of all, she's taught me to laugh not only at myself but at the world around me when I'm down.

Yeah, we laugh A LOT. Sometimes when we're together we just crack up at each other without saying a word. And if one of us does say something, it isn't long before we've lost our breath or have tears rolling down our faces. There are times when we're together that things happen around us that no one else would find the humor in, but we just have to exchange a glance and know that the other one is cracking up inside.

They say laughter is good for your health. If that's true, then I can say that my health has improved 2000% since Angela has become a part of my life.


Of course, there's always the Wendy-Connie story...

Today, Angela's life is about to change in the biggest, most exciting way. As I'm writing this, she's at the hospital giving birth to her first child! I'm so happy for her (and Reg!) and can't wait to spoil this new little person when (s)he arrives (no, I won't know the sex until Reg calls). She's going to be an awesome mom.

Wendy, here's to ya!

Until next time,

Connie



*****UPDATE******

Angela and Reg welcomed little Maxwell Charles at 8:15 this morning! He's 7 pounds 9 ounces and Mom, Max, Dad and big brother Sean are all doing well! Yippee!!!!

1 comment:

Traci said...

Very cool friendship. And beautiful baby too!