Friday, March 20, 2009

Special Women #3

Today, I'm using 2 questions from the list for one person, just because both of these questions made me think of her!

Is there a woman... Who you could invite over to your messiest house? and Who inspires you?

There's only one person in my life who perfectly answers both of these questions: my "little" sister JAMIE.

The messy house? Yeah, that's both of us. Somehow, we missed the gene that makes you want to have a perfectly clean, neat house. Our Mom has it - that's why her nickname is "Patty Pickup." But me and Jamie? Naaaah. Granny used to always say to us "find your courage and do your work." I know my courage is lost somewhere in the mess and Jamie tells me all the time that she's still looking for hers....

Jamie has become a source of inspiration for me. Growing up, we were typical sisters: screaming arguments, hair pulling, scratching, not speaking, being friends, playing together. I think for a long time I just took her for granted and never really expected much from our relationship. It took a move to another state for me to realize what a wonderful person she truly is.

She's been married for almost 17 years now and is raising 2 great sons with Clif. The boys are both thriving teenagers in private high schools and are the loves of her life, even if they do give her (and Clif!) a run for their money. I'm in awe at what a wonderful Mom she is.

In her work life, Jamie completed her R.N. while her kids were young and in school and has worked her way up through the hospital since she was a Candy Striper in high school. Today, she is the clinical manager of a psychiatric emergency room at the hospital and is well respected throughout the place. She's smart as a whip when it comes to her job and has the patience (patients? ha!) of an angel when dealing with people in distress and their families. She truly shines in her field.

At home, when she's not shuffling the boys to some activity, you can usually find her in her scrapbook room being creative. Not only does she turn out wonderful pages documenting the life and times of her family, but she uses her amazing crafty talent for other projects and decorating her house. She's been having a lot of fun lately altering items and I bow to her creativity.

Jamie can be tough as nails when the situation calls for it. Don't mess with her or anyone in her family. But, then to the contrary, she has the kindest heart of anyone I know. She'd give you the Cat's Eye Chalks out of her craft stash if you needed them.

And finally, she's got a wicked sense of humor. She can make a joke about anything or anyone at any given time. When we're together we could get into some serious trouble; sometimes when we're talking on the phone, she makes me laugh so hard that I can't breathe.

Yes, Jamie is truly an inspiration to me. I wish that we could spend more time together. If we did, I'm sure we would probably just get into lots of trouble wherever we went. Especially at scrapbook stores, Michael's and Hobby Lobby.




And we wouldnt' fight along the way - except about who pays for lunch!






Until Next Time,

Kel

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Such a sweet post Kel. I love it. I have 3 sisters and miss them all so much. You're right, the distance really does make you realize how much you love them. Can't wait to see you this weekend!