Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Think That Was a Compliment...

This morning, I took a fitness ball how-to workshop at the gym. I have a fitness ball at home and use one when I'm doing personal training with Denise, but I figured maybe there's more to it that I should learn. I was quite happy to see that Nora, the tiny, perky little Zumba teacher, was leading the workshop.

So, we went through a lot of "this is how you do this" and "if you do it this way, you'll work this group of muscles more" instruction for about the first 30 minutes of the workshop. Then, we sat on the floor on our mats and it was question and answer time. No problem, I thought, I could still learn something.

One lady in the group mentioned that she couldn't do a particular move because of her size. Much to my surprise, Nora launched into a speech about how your size should not stop you from at least trying. She went on to say that since she started teaching classes at this gym (which, by the way, is a size-positive place and you won't find a scale or mention of diet anywhere!), she's had to learn to work with larger people and their limitations and let go of her prejudice against them. Hmmmm, I kept thinking, this is goint to be an interesting conversation...

Nora continued her speech, saying that she was shocked on her first day teaching Zumba at the gym when a 'big woman' stepped onto the floor for the class. Well, I knew that she meant me - I'm the biggest woman in the class. She said she kept thinking that this woman shouldn't be here, that she wouldn't be able to keep up and do the moves and should she ask her if she was sure she wanted to be there? At that point, she turned and looked at me and said "and you know what? I was very surprised to see that she could not only keep up with the class but was a very good dancer. So, I learned at that moment that a person's size isn't important when it comes to exercising. The point is, she's moving and having fun!" At first, I thought I'd die of embarrassment that she sorta called me out during her little speech. But then, I just grinned and said "my feet may not go as fast as yours at times, but I'm a lot more fit than you think."

Wow. She didn't think I should be taking her class. It isn't the first time I've had that reaction from an exercise class teacher. It happened when I used to go to the Y - the cute Capoeria teacher had the same reaction, even going as far as asking me if I was sure I was in the right place because his class was pretty intense. There was a dance aerobics instructor there, too, who kept watching me out the corner of her eye the first time I took her class. And the look on the trainer's face the day I walked into a spinning class and got on a bike was priceless.

Believe me, each time I sign up for a class, I have my own doubts about whether or not I'm up to the challenge presented (hello, can you say Boot Camp?). But, I'll try anything once. Twice if I survive the first session.

So, I think that Nora's comments were supposed to be a compliment. At least that's the way I'm taking them.

And I'll proudly be back to cha-cha-cha in Zumba on Wednesday.

Until Next Time,

Kel

1 comment:

Traci said...

This was a great post. And as someone who is not at all small, it's an inspiration. There have been gym-oriented things that I haven't tried just because I don't want that kind of attention. What an awful excuse that is eh?

I think I need to take a page out of your book!