Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thank You. Have a Day!

There's a Subway sandwich shop about 3 blocks from my house and lately, I've been hooked on their sandwiches. The people who work there are generally nice and do a really good job of following directions when making my sandwich.

Today, I had to run home on my lunch hour and let the little 4-legged fur child out because I'll be working late tonight - don't want to come home to "presents" on the floor. I figured one of the quickest ways to fit in grabbing some lunch to bring back to the office was to stop at this particular Subway because it's never really busy. When I pulled in the parking lot, I was pleased that my assumption was right - no waiting!

The young man who made my sandwich was very cordial and very careful about getting the ingredients just right, which I totally appreciated. I could tell that English wasn't his first language, and I did have to ask him to repeat himself a couple of times, but it was more that he spoke softly than his accent.

When I finished paying for my lunch and he handed me the bag, he smiled brightly and said "Thank you, Miss. Have a day!"

(Me, shaking head quickly, like I wasn't paying attention) "Pardon me?"

"Thank you, Miss. Have a day!"

I smiled politely and said "You too!" Of course I was thinking HUH???????

Have a day. Not a nice day. Or a crappy day. Or a sunny day. Just a day.

I've been pondering that statement all the way back to the office and while I'm munching on my delicious sandwich. Have a day. Does he maybe mean 'have a _______ day' where the customer is left to fill in the blank with whatever kind of day they're having? That might work. Or, what if secretly, in his mind, he's wishing you a crappy day and just doesn't have the nerve to say it?

I don't know. It's just one of those things that make you go hmmmmm.

So, have a day!!!

Until next time,

Kel

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Made me laugh. Boy, I am having a day. I hope tomorrow I can have a day....but I can't wait 'til Friday evening 'cause that's when my real DAY is gonna start!! See ya soon. have a day! lol