Monday, March 30, 2009

Special Women #6

Is there a woman...

...Who taught you a skill that you use often?

That's an easy one: MY MOM, CAROLYN.

My Mom is a very strong woman. She's a role model that every young girl should have: tough when needed, always gentle, smart as a whip and generous and kind to those in need.

She taught me many skills, but first and foremost, she taught me to be strong and independent. I've learned negotiating skills from her - what's the old saying? "She can sell ice to an eskimo" or something like that. Yep. I'm a really good negotiator, thanks to her. I've learned to stand up for myself (or my family) in any situation. I learned a lot of my creativity from her. For more than 20 years, she sewed costumes for me and my sister Jamie's dance revues every spring. Her creativity and talent in that arena were unbelievable; she also spent time making and sometimes selling her crafts (burlap butterfly magnets in the 80's and denim purses with wooden bottoms before that).

I wouldn't be where I am today if my Mom had been a typical, demure, southern belle wife.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: