Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wearing O' the Green


Well, HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!


Are you wearing green today? With a name like mine, I'd better be or my half-Irish Grandmother will return from the grave to smack me on the head! St. Patrick's day was one of her favorite holidays, after Christmas and Mardi Gras. She always decked herself out in as much green and white as she could find. She'd even paint her fingernails a lovely shade of Kelly green for the day.


I remember the little shamrock pin she'd wear and as a child, I secretly wished she would give it to me. Well, one year, that's exactly what she did, and when she pinned it on my shirt, she told me "Dawlin', wear this every year on St. Patty's day and it'll bring you luck for the rest of the year." Here it is, nearly 40 years later, and I still wear that pin every March 17th. And when I take it out of it's little cardboard box and pin it on my shirt, I say "Grandmaw, dawlin', let's go celebrate together!"


I hope that today Grandmaw is doing her best Irish jig in Heaven!



Until next time,



Kel

No comments: