Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 2: Reality Sets In

So I got up and started off my Saturday like any other Saturday: roll out of bed, take Aero out, eat a bowl of Cheerios, get dressed and head off to my new favorite class: Yo'lates. The class was great and I got a great workout. On the way home, I decided I should probably take the boxes out of the car - no sense in burning extra gas carrying them around with me.

Once the boxes were in the living room, I sat there looking at them and that's when I fell apart. Sitting there on my floor were 5 boxes filled with things that have defined my professional life for the last 9 years. Wait, probably the last 20 because a lot of that stuff came with me from my previous job! But yeah, 9 years of my life reduced to 5 boxes. It was kinda pitiful.

But, I dragged myself into the shower and got dressed and headed over to my friend Marie's house. She's an Office Manager for a law firm and she said she'd help me go through the "separation" paperwork I received on Thursday (which, by the way, I hadn't looked at yet). On the drive over the hill, the desperate thoughts started racing through my head again. What if I can't get unemployment for some reason? What if I can't afford COBRA? What things can I cut from my life to make ends meet a little easier? How long can this last? Who would want to hire a fat, middle-aged white woman? By the time I got to her house, I was a wreck again. Good thing she's one of my best friends and I knew I could let go of those crazy emotions right there in her kitchen.

I spent the day there with her and her family and they helped me get over the negativity I was feeling. And while I was there, I received a couple of phone calls from friends and family that I love and respect, all offering me the sympathy, love and support in any way I need. I think that's what's going to get me through this scary transition in my life.

So to try to move forward, tonight I tried to apply for unemployment via the California EDD's web site. Everything in the info I was given says this is the easiest, quickest way to start those benefits. Yeah, well, I couldn't get past the first 3 questions! I answered them (yes, I've been empoyed in CA for the last 18 months, no I haven't worked anywhere else and yes (and no), my employer gave me a claim form) and kept getting a screen that said I had special circumstances and needed to call an 800 number! WHAT DA' HECK? I've decided that I'll try again tomorrow, and will call the stupid 800 number. Sheesh. I hope the rest of the stuff isn't this hard!

So, that's it for today. Tomorrow's adventure will include shopping for cleaning supplies and paper products at Target on a very reduced budget. That's going to be hard!

Until next time,

Kel

No comments: