Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 11: The Nosey Neighbor

I think every neighborhood has one: the little old lady (or man) that single-handedly becomes the neighborhood watch. You know the type. Never misses a thing that happens with you or any of your neighbors. And they know all the gossip from up and down the street and are more than happy to share it with anyone who'll listen.

Yep, I have one of those. Her name is Betty. She's a very lovely lady and I really enjoy chatting with her when I see her. I've had her over for visits and she's had me over for dinner and for tea. Her house is impeccable and her yard immaculate. I think it's during her time doing yard work that she picks up on what's going on with her neighbors.

I've been amazed that my car being home during normal working hours for 6 days straight hadn't elicited a phone call or visit from Betty. But, sure enough, today there was a message on my answering machine when I got home from running errands: "Hello Kel? This is your neighbor Betty from across the street. Please call me when you have a minute."

Yeah, the neighborhood watch was watching and taking notice that something's not right in my household. And the nosey side of her needed to know why.

So, I called her and I was right - she had noticed that my car has been home when normally I'm at work; have I changed my working hours? Have I stopped driving and maybe was car pooling or taking the train or bus to wrok? Am I on vacation? Am I sick and can't work?

I broke the news to her that I was laid off 11 days ago and that she'll see me and my furry friend around the house a lot for a while. She expressed her sympathies and wished me luck in my job search and rushed to end the call. I guess that's all she needed to know and she was on the hotline to spread the news to others in the neighborhood.

I can't help but smile when she grills me with about things that are going on in my life. She means well and I totally appreciate the fact that she's watching the neighborhood. If something were to ever go wrong anywhere on the street, I know she'd be the first one to dial 9-1-1.

God love her.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: