Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Whole Hour?

I got back from vacation and went to the gym on Friday morning to hit the treadmill. Not that it's any kind of resolution for the new year to get in shape or anything - just that crazy thought in my head that I missed exercising while I was in New Orleans...

When I arrived, I checked the class schedule for January to find that Denise, my favorite personal trainer, is teaching her cardio kick boxing class on Saturday mornings. Sign me up!! I figured if it didn't kill me in November, I could do it again.

This morning, the alarm started ringing about 6:45. I hit the snooze at least 4 times, trying to convince myself that 8:30 in the morning is way too early to exercise and that I really didn't want to do kick boxing again. At some point in my argument with myself, I realized that the class wan't until 8:30 and that is 2-1/2 hours later than 6:00 a.m., the time that boot camp started each morning and I exercised THAT early on boot camp days... So, I got up, threw on some workout clothes, walked Aero and took off for the gym before I really changed my mind.

Surprise, surprise. I was the first one there. I even beat Denise there. But finally, by just after 8:30, there were seven people there for the class, none of whom were in the previous session. Of course, I had that immediate feeling of supremacy - after all, I had done her CKB class before!

Since I was familiar with the routine and moves, the coordination part of the class came rather easily to me. But what caught me off guard was how well I was able to keep up! I kept looking around and the rest of the class and only 1 other person was keeping up with the pace of the class; the others were stopping and taking breaks quite often, just standing there trying to catch their breath. Now there's a giant non-scale victory if ever I saw one!

As 9:15 approached, I felt like I was gonna fall on the floor! I was tired and starting to feel achy. I kept watching the clock, waiting for Denise to start slowing down and doing some stretching. 9:20 rolled around and we were still going full speed ahead. 9:25, still throwing punches. At 9:27, the stretching began. I kept thinking that maybe she wasn't paying attention to the time or was just enjoying killing us all that she lost track of the time....

Nope. She didn't just tack on an extra fifteen minutes. I looked at the schedule on my way out - the class is an hour long instead of the usual 45 minutes that the evening series lasted. No wonder I felt like I was fading fast - my body isn't used to that extra 15 minutes of torture.

But, I guess I'll just have to go back and try again next Saturday. After all, I can't let 15 minutes beat me.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: