Monday, January 12, 2009

Look Into the Lighty Spinny Thingy....


My wonderful friend Linda, who lives in Virginia, always sends me the coolest things for Christmas and for my birthday. They're usually Disney-themed items which she had picked up on one of her jaunts to The Happiest Place on Earth. As I've mentioned before, she and her husband Tim are huge Disney fans (I keep asking her to clone Tim and send him to me!) and they usually visit the World as often as they can.


When I finally opened all my presents this year, one of the coolest gifts (at least coolest by my standards!) from her was the Mickey-head lighty-spinny-thingy. I don't know what it's official name is, but I like lighty-spinny-thingy. It's a technical term.


I brought lighty-spinny-thingy to work with me, as I do with all my fun gadgets, games and toys. You'd be surprised how a slinky can make even the most irate attorney calm down and talk to you in a normal tone of voice.


Well, as I calmly sat in my office one day last week, it happened: crackberry (otherwise known as a Blackberry) problems for an attorney. He showed up at my door, yelling at me about fixing it and blah, blah, blah. After the first couple of words spoken in a louder than normal tone, I usually tune out. But today, I grabbed my lighty-spinny-thingy and hit the button and pointed it at him and commaned: "Stare at the lighty-spinny-shiny thingee....you are feeling happy now... you are very happy now... you will stop yelling at Kel now..." Of course, he stopped yelling and just looked at me like I was nuts.


When the initial shock wore off, he laughed and just shook his head at me. Hey - it worked - he calmed down and was able to explain to me in a normal manner what the problem was with his crackberry and within a few minutes, it was fixed.


So, if you work in a job where you occasionally have to interact with people who become irate, irritated, cranky or otherwise unreasonable, may I suggest you make a trip to DisneyWorld and buy yourself a lighty-spinny-thingy? It worked for me!


And thanks Linda for saving my sanity!!


Until Next Time,


Kel

No comments: