Thursday, September 17, 2009

Step One: The Phone Interview

So, I didn't sleep much last night because I was slightly tense about this morning's phone interview. Okay, not slightly. Very tense. Okay, I was wound up tighter than a fat woman's fist around a donut.

Let's face it. I'm old, cranky and haven't interviewed in just over 9 years. It took every ounce of strength I had last night to close my eyes and think of of pleasant things like bunnies, and rainbows, and marshmallowy clouds, and mounds of chocolate and and and.... Ahem. You get the picture. I was trying to NOT think about having to chat with a total stranger and be totally charming and witty and not sound like a total boob. I don't remember what time it was when I finally went to sleep, but let's just say Aero was snoring.

I got up this morning and immediately jumped in the shower and got dressed, curled my hair and even put on makeup! I figured being dressed would help me feel more 'professional' even if the guy couldn't see me. That and I was having lunch with my friend and partner-in-crime Angela.

I sat here waiting and at exactly 10:00 a.m., the phone rang and it was the HR guy from the law firm in San Francisco. He was very nice, but boy, did he speak softly (and quickly). I only hope he doesn't carry a big stick! His questions were quick, direct and to the point, so I got a cue that I shouldn't get all wordy like I tend to do. He asked about why I left my last job (umm, duh, I was laid off!), how do I handle difficult people when they have computer problems, how do I work with subordinates, do I like being on a team, how do I feel about overtime, why am I interested in working there.... There were more, but those were the highlights. But, I answered thoughtfully, tried not to make too many jokes (do you realize how hard that is for me?) and thanked him politely for his time when it was over.

Whew. I was really kinda excited when it was over, not because I was done, but because I felt like I handled it much better than I thought I would. Yay for me. And yay to Julie, the career coach I worked with earlier this summer who prepared me for just such an event. I think if I hadn't worked with her, I'd have been stumbling and mumbling like a babbling idiot.

So now, we wait. We wait for the HR guy to go over his notes from the call. We wait for the HR guy to decide if he wants to pass on my resume to the west coast IT manager. We wait for them to decide if they want to "extend an invitation" for me to meet them at their offices for the next step in the process.

I hope they hurry 'cause I don't wait well.....

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: