Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How Many Ways Do I Have to Say NO?!

I find it hard to deal with people that ask a question, I respond "no, thank you" and they keep asking the same question over and over. My answer won't change, no matter which way you phrase the question. It's still NO.

There's a placement service that I've been in contact with for a little over a month now. They found my resume on Careerbuilder. The first time I talked to the recruiter guy, he had a help desk position with a law firm in San Francisco. Intriguing, to say the very least. Then, once he had me hooked, he told me the bad news: it was a 6:00 AM to 3:00 pm shift. Umm, no thanks. I'm not a morning person, so I can't imagine me being polite to someone with computer problems at 6:00 am. Besides, there isn't a lot of public transit options to get me to downtown San Francisco in time to make a 6:00 am start time.

About a week after that conversation, he called again. Same law firm. Same helpdesk position. Different hours. 2 pm to 11 pm. Oh, and it was a Wednesday - Sunday shift. I thought about it for about 2 seconds. No, thanks. I'm not interested in doing shift work. I really want to work "normal" days and hours. His argument? "Well, you said you're not a morning person so I thought this would be perfect for you." Dude, you thought wrong, but thank you for calling.

Another week goes by and I get another call. Same law firm. Same helpdesk position. New hours! 10 am to 7 pm. And it's Monday through Friday. "Since you're not a morning person and this is close to 'normal' hours, this should be perfect for you." Thank you for calling and thinking of me, but no, it's not close enough to normal hours for me.

This week, his colleague called me. Same law firm. Same helpdesk position. 11 am to 8 pm. Tuesday - Saturday. "My colleague said that you're not a morning person, so we're offering you this opportunity first before any of our other candidates."

If I could have reached through the phone and ripped out this guy's tonsils, I would have. Then I would have asked for his colleague and done the same.

Seems the only point they picked up on in the numerous conversations we've had about what kind job I'm looking for is the fact that I'm not a morning person. HELLO????? What about the fact that public transit to and from SF in off hours makes it difficult for me to get to and from work? And driving and parking isn't an option - not when parking is in the $30 a day range. Don't you remember that I mentioned that for nearly 30 years, I've been working 8-5, Monday through Friday and have built a life around that schedule? I have commitments in the evenings because that's what normal working people do.

But they've zeroed in on "I'm not a morning person." (Shaking my head furiously)

Maybe that's why they only call me in the afternoon. Wise choice, guys.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: