Friday, February 27, 2009

Snail Tales

I guess when you're a creature of small stature, you do whatever it takes to make yourself bigger in the world.

We've had a lot of rain here in Northern California in the last two weeks. And don't get me wrong - it's a good thing! I want to be able to shower and do laundry with some regularity during the summer. But I digress...

With the rain comes the snails. Yes, my front porch has become a refuge for snails of every size during the rain storms. They're just your normal, every day average garden snails and they seem to like to hang out on my front door mat. While I do think they're gross, especially the slimy trail they leave behind, I figure they've got a job to do in the garden so I'm not gonna mess with them. And besides, I don't particularly like getting stuck out in the rain getting wet, so let the little buggers have some shelter.

Well, my little furry friend Aero feels quite differently about our porch guests. When it's time for a romp through the yard and I open the door, he ignores them on the way out -- I guess he's got more important things on his mind, like getting over to the tree to 'water' it. But on the way back in, he stops and sniff nearly every snail in his path. Then, he'll growl or bark at it! Each and every danged snail! He doesn't mess with it in any other way, but it's like he's trying to tell them something or prove that he's the bigger creature for once in his life. It cracks me up.




I guess I should be thankful that my little watchdog guards my front porch so well.

Until Next Time,



Kel

No comments: