Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's After 5:00...Shouldn't I Be at a Happy Hour Somewhere?

I am very thankful for my job, especially with today's economic craziness. I shouldn't complain about it, but, Connie Complainer is in the house (er, the office) today and that's just what I'm going to do. Complain about my job.

As the lone IT person in this office, I get to do all the fun stuff that involves electricity. You know, unplug a power strip from one outlet in a conference room and plug it in to the outlet on the opposite wall... Yeah, I looked like a genius in front of a room full of attorneys this morning. I also get to set up video conference equipment, laptops, projectors and conference phones for meetings. And that's why I'm still in the office, 20 minutes after quitting time.

There's a meeting that started at 3:00 that's still going strong that's using a laptop and projector. Unfortunately, I can't just leave the equipment sitting in the conference room over night. It needs to be secured before I go home. Oh, yeah, there's another meeting starting in another conference room at 6:00 that needed projection equipment that I'm waiting on. As soon as those folks show up and I get them squared away, I can run screaming from the building.

It's nice to feel needed - up to a point. And that point was 5:00, which has come and gone. I'd much rather be at a happy hour somewhere with me being needy with my two best friends: Margaret and Rita (get it? margarita?).

Until next time,

Kel (a/k/a Connie Complainer)

2 comments:

scrap4u said...

I know how you feel Kelly! I go straight home after work everynight. While I love seeing Tim for dinner there are times I feel like there's a whole other world where fun people are going out to happy hour and having fun. I go home, eat dinner,say goodbye to Tim, clean up the kitchen and then do stuff around the house or watch tv. Sometimes being married and turning 49 feels old and boring. But I'm happy to be married-you know that. I just wish sometimes that we could go out and do something during the week. But I'm thankful Tim has that job or we wouldn't have any insurance and we'd be broke so we couldn't go out anyway. So Wendy Whiner here saying I need some cheese to go with my wine!

Sherry said...

Did you see this post?
http://midnitescrapper.blogspot.com/2009/02/friendship-award.html
=]