Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ooooooo Girl, You Work Out?

I was having a typical Thursday - nothing real exciting going on all day, looking forward to going home after the gym and vegging out in front of the tv for 3 hours with my favorite furry friend...

All week I've been fighting with my self-esteem. It's been a nasty battle, one that I've mostly been losing. I've missed working out 6 days this month and seeing that it's only the 12th today, that's not a really good start. That didn't help me battle the 'this is why you're fat' demons I've been hearing all week.

When I left the office tonight, I decided I should stop at the running gear shop and buy a new pair of shoes. I've had this pair since August and because of the stupid orthotics, I have to wear them every day, all day and the support is breaking down. Denise has recommended to me for quite some time now that I replace them, but the pain I've had in my ankle this week was the deciding factor.

So, I sheepishly schlepped in to the store, feeling totally out of place (as always) in a store that caters to the 'beautiful people' who are runners and athletes. I was met by a most charming, totally hot young man who's greeting "hi, happy Friday! I'd like to be of assistance - what can I help you with this evening?" immediately put me at ease. When I explained I wanted a pair of the same running shoes that were on my feet, he led me to the shoe section, invited me to sit so that he could take a look at my shoes and my feet and help me make sure I was getting the right shoes for the activities I participated in. He offered me something to drink while I sat that, which totally caught me off guard - this is customer service at it's finest!

Well, as we chatted a little about why I wanted these particular shoes, he dragged over the shoe salesman's stool, sat in front of me and grabbed my calf, guiding my foot to the foot rest. At that point, he exclaimed "Oooooooo girl, you work out?!" I was caught just a little off guard and was slightly speechless and perplexed by his reaction. He immediately apologized for his behavior, saying that he didn't expect my calf to be as hard and muscular as it is.

"Don't apologize" I said, "thanks for the compliment!" Hey - I've worked hard for the last 8 months and am proud of my hard, muscular calves. We both laughed and chatted some more about my workouts. I really cracked up when he flexed his bicep and said "okay, let's see how much you really work out - let me check out your bicep..." "Bicep?" I said with a smug look on my face as I flexed. "No, baby, I've got guns." He was quite impressed with my guns.

He did check and unfortunately, the shoes I need are out of stock, but he promised to get a pair from one of the other stores for me by tomorrow or Monday. He continued being quite charming and I felt very flattered by it all. Of course, this is probably the guy's m.o. and sales tactic, but hey, it got me over my self-esteem fight very quickly. In my mind, I was being hit on by a hot guy who is half my age.

I can't wait to go back and get my new shoes. All I know is Mr. Hottie Man better be there to feel up my legs and biceps again.

Until next time,

Kel

2 comments:

scrap4u said...

I don't think he was just trying to sell you the shoes. You already wanted shoes and knew what youw wanted. I think he was hittig on you! Way to go Kelly!

When he calls to say they are in, you could always ask him if he'll be there when you come by to pick them up. That way you can see each other again. :)

Sherry said...

You crack me up. Loved this post! You go girl!