Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 49: Everything's Coming Up Roses...

Well, not really. But at some point it will. Right?


I'm lucky to live where I do, because just a short distance from here is the Pacific Coast. There's lots of nurseries in that area, and on my drive from my house to my friend Marie's, those nurseries have flower/plant shops that are open to the public.


Today, I was driving home from her house and as I passed one of the flower farm's shop, there was a huge sign out front: Dozen Roses $5. Almost like a mosquito drawn to a light, I hit the turn signal and made the right turn into the driveway and parked my car. I decided that I needed roses today and here was my opportunity. I mean why the heck not?


There were so many roses to choose from! Every color you can imagine. And the fragrance! When I walked into giant flower refrigerator, I felt as though I had stepped into some story-book meadow filled with rows and rows of beautiful, fragrant flowers of every sort. Except that it was freezing cold! I picked out two lovely bouquets of roses, exchanged pleasantries with the nice lady at the cash register, and was on my way with Ethel Merman's voice belting out that famous tune on the 20 minute ride.


The roses have brightened up my living room and dining room. And they've made me happy tonight. I don't ever get flowers either for myself or from someone else, so what the heck! For the next few days, instead of staring at the muted yellow walls of the house or the computer screen, I can stare at some gorgeous roses!


Until Next Time,


Kel

No comments: