Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 46: Required Meetng at EDD

Sigh. I got a letter from EDD (unemployment) last week telling me I had to attend a mandatory meeting this morning at 8:15 at one of their offices and if I don't go, my benefits will be affected. Oh, yeah, and bring along 2 pieces of identification that prove my eligibility to work and fill out a form telling them about my job search efforts.

So, I dragged myself out of bed this morning only to discover that I had a screaming headache and queasy stomach. Hmmm. Maybe it's just the stress of this meeting causing it. Into the shower and into what felt like a normal routine - it's before 7:00 a.m. and I'm dressing in "work" clothes, doing my hair and putting on makeup. Strangely enough, it felt really good.

I found my way to the facility where this meeting was to be held, and was somewhat surprised at the people just hanging around in the parking lot, some of whom were in line at the front door, waiting to get in. My meeting was at 8:15, and I arrived at 7:55. I guessed that the doors opened at 8:00, but couldn't quite figure out why all these people were hanging around.

Well, the facility is called Peninsula Works, which is a job/employment/career assistance office. There's 4 of these offices in this area, and it works in conjunction with the EDD and local adult schools, shelters and training programs to help people of all ages and skills get back to work. That explained some of the clientele I observed in the parking lot.

What I also discovered upon entering the building was that this wasn't a meeting with someone from EDD - it was a 2-hour seminar with about 20 other people! Yes, we were corralled into a room where a very nice gentleman led us through the do's and don'ts of collecting unemployment, how to use the Peninsula Works offices to our benefit, and answering questions from the group. It was very informative, but long, especially since I wasn't feeling so hot.

But, I did my duty, got my check mark for attending and my new identification card that allows me to use the Peninsula Works facility. It's just one more hoop that I managed to jump through to keep those checks flowing to my mailbox every other week.

Oy. I need to get a job soon!

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: