Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wow... I'm Pretty Impressive on Paper!

Today was my final call with Julie, my career coach. I'm going to do a little advertising here: if you find yourself wading through the waters of the modern job search and feel like you're drowning, get in touch with Julie and let her give you a life jacket. I feel so much better about the process and about myself professionally than I did back in May.

We finished the resume and I actually printed it tonight. I like the way it looks in hard copy: clean lines, concise formatting, strong wording. It's two pages of me and what I do best. I only hope that anyone reading it will feel the same.

And it got forwarded for the first time today. Remember the job I've been agonizing about all week? As it turns out, I know someone who works there and I contacted her on Monday to talk about the firm and see what her thoughts are on their IT department. She was honest and told me the good, the bad and the ugly so that I could make a decision about applying. She also offered to talk to the IT guy about me and mention that I was contemplating sending in my resume. Well, she called me yesterday afternoon and said the guy wanted to meet me - even before seeing my resume! Hot dog!

So, I guess I'm applying for the job. I forwarded my shiny new resume on to my friend today and am waiting to hear back about an interview. I'm looking at this as a positive step, no matter the outcome. It's good experience to go on the interview so I can prepare myself for future interviews. If I get a job, bonus! If I don't get the job, well, I won't be devastated because the whole experience is the first step to a new job. Right?

So, if you need some bedtime reading and are curious about the new resume (or you know someone that might be willing to hire me!), just drop me a line at kelskorner at sbcglobal dot net and I'll send it your way.

Sigh. Now the fun really starts!

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: