Sunday, July 12, 2009

To Apply or Not to Apply....

THAT, my friends, is the question that's been plaguing me for the last 48 hours.

As I was searching my usual job-search websites Friday afternoon, I ran across a job that I'm so qualified for. The description of the job is exactly what I've done for the last 20 years: help desk and training - in a law firm.

So, why didn't I immediately send in my resume and cover letter? Well, there's the rub: I can think of about a million reasons why I shouldn't apply and only one reason that I should. Don't mind me while I think 'out loud' here....

Reasons to not apply for the job:
  • It's a law firm. I really want to break out of the law firm gig and work in an office that's not filled with lawyers. Not that I have anything against lawyers generally, I'm just tired of working with them.
  • It's in San Francisco. I'd have to commute over an hour in each direction on public transit. I enjoy letting someone else do the driving, but over the last seven years, I've grown accustomed to a short commute (25 minutes at most) and having my car at my disposal each day. In SF, I can't afford to pay the $25+ a day to park my car. Ain't happening.
  • It's in San Francisco, right across the street from my former law firm. Too much of a chance of running into the very people who made the decision to lay me off. That could be an ugly encounter.
  • The hours. The ad posted that it's a 35 hour week (woo-hoo!), which is a definite bonus. The down side - it's a 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. shift. 7:00 a.m.? Yikes! I am SO not a morning person and with the commute, I'd probably have to get up at like 4:30 in the morning and be out of the house by 5:45 in order to get there by 7:00 And I'm really cranky before 8 in the morning.

I could go on with this list, but these are the biggies for me.

Now, the one reason I should apply: IT'S THE THING I DO BEST. Help Desk and Training. I'm good in front of a group of people. I'm excellent at help desk calls and requests. I know law firms and how they operate. I'm good at this position.

So, help me out here - what do you think I should do? I can't wait too long - the job was posted last Tuesday and in this market, you snooze, you lose. I just can't decide if I want to snooze or not.

Until Next Time,

Kel

2 comments:

scrap4u said...

Well--if you don't think you can make it to work on time and you'll be calling in late frequently--I say don't apply.

But if you feel like you live withe the commute and the early mornings--then go for it!

You can continue to look for another job out of the law firm field while working there. No law against that.

In regards to running into people from the old firm that will be across the steet--I wouldn't let it bother you. Say hi and smile and tell them how wonderfully you've been doing since you left there. Cause you have been doing wonderfully!

Cathy said...

So, Kelly, what did you decide to do? Apply or not apply?