Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Big, Scary Tomatoes!

In New Orleans, summer always brought around one of my favorite foods: Creole Tomatoes. Very meaty, sweet and vibrantly red, they are a staple on the table because everybody grows them in back yard gardens.

When I moved to California, I quickly discovered that Creole Tomatoes don't exist here. I learned to eat run-of-the-mill vine-ripened and beefsteak tomatoes, but wasn't that impressed with the taste.

Then, about 5 years ago, my friend Angela and I signed up for a local organic farm's vegetable delivery service. We'd get to pick a combination of 5 organic fruits and vegetables a week and they'd be delivered right to our office, most times with the dirt still on them. They advertised heirloom tomatoes during the summer, which I had never heard of. Angela encouraged me to order some one week with the promise that if I didn't like them, she'd be happy to 'trade' me some veggies for them. So I did.

The day our veggie orders arrived, Angela came to my office to show me the beautifully (and oddly!) colored tomatoes in her bag. She had about 5 of them and she asked to see mine. I opened the paper bag and all I saw was one giant yellow and red variegated tomato! I took it out of the bag and exclaimed "That's one big, scary tomato!!!!" I thought Ang would fall on the floor she was laughing so hard.

It took me a couple of days to work up the courage to cut that monster, but I did eat it and enjoy it. From that day on, I anxiously await summer so I can buy me some big, scary tomatoes.

Tonight, I headed to the grocery store for one thing: heirlooms. They're on sale this week (only $2.49 a pound, which is a steal!) and I'm sure I'll make several trips back to buy some more over the next week.

So Angela, this one's for you my friend!


Oh, yeah, and thanks for making me buy that first BIG SCARY TOMATO!

Until Next Time,

Kel

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Love them too! I go to Trader Joe's for some nice heirlooms. They have the small ones too. The price is high, but I like 'em anyway!