Friday, April 10, 2009

Is It a Sin....

Well, Sunday is Easter, so that means Lent is almost over.


I've eaten my last Friday tuna sandwich of the year (I HATE tuna so this has been a real pennance for me!) and only have about a day and a half left to stay away from Diet Coke, refined sugar and fast food.


This year it seems that I wasn't as crazy as I have been in the past by giving up these things. Occasionally, I'd have a craving for a Diet Coke (especially when eating those danged tuna sandwiches), but it would pass. And the fast food? Well, today it would have been nice to go through a drive-through since my knee is out of whack (see yesterday's post on being the floor show) and walking is painful, but for the most part, I've been able to ignore it. I think that now that I've gotten the refined sugar out of my system I'm not craving it, so I'm a little afraid to jump back into sweets too quickly even though those mini-Snickers bars on my desk are YELLING my name today...


Last night, when I was talking to my Dad, we somehow got on the subject of Popeye's Fried Chicken and he mentioned that in New Orleans, they have a great fried shrimp deal right now. Something about 9 fried shrimp, fries or red beans and rice and a drink for like $7.99. Well, since I haven't done fast food in a while and the nearest Popeye's is about 10 miles from my house, I wouldn't know about that deal.


But, it got me to thinking: would it be a sin if today, Good Friday, I went to my local Popeye's and bought the fried shrimp deal and had it for dinner so that I wouldn't eat meat tonight? Does not eating meat cancel out the fact that I'm buying fried shrimp from a fast food place?


Being Catholic can be complicated.


Until Next Time,


Kel

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Ok, this post made me LOL. I had a really hard time eating a tuna sandwich for lunch today and a crab tapatia for dinner tonight.

I am so happy to be done with "Fish Fridays" for the year.

I have to say I need to ask major forgivness, because there were several Fridays this Lenten season that I found myself taking a great big bite out of a hamburger before realizing it was a Friday. Oops!!