Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Can I Just See a Doctor PLEASE??????????

It has been a week since 'the floor show' and my knee has been a very painful reminder of what an uncoordinated ding-dong I really am.

Each morning, I think it's getting better, but by the time I get to work, I know that it's not. This morning I finally convinced myself to find an orthopedic doctor nearby and make an appointment because I'm afraid I'm doing more damage to the knee than healing. And I want to get back to the gym!!!

So, I went online to the insurance company's website and found a listing of over 100 orthos to choose from. Egad. I narrowed it down to those within 15 miles of the office. I thought that would be a good place to start, since I spend most of my day at work. I also wanted a doctor who was affiliated with the hospital near my house and not Stanford Medical Center, even though Stanford is a world-class facility. I'm trying to think practically in case this turns out more seriously than I'd like to believe it is.

Found it. A clinic in the next city over from the office and multiple ortho docs who are affiliated with my hospital. Goodie. Called and was put through to the appointment desk. Went through all of the 172 questions to get me 'registered' with this particular clinic. After I explained what had happened for the second time to the woman on the phone, she offered me an appointment tomorrow at 1:30 with Jeff Somebody-or-other, Dr. So-and-So's "Physican Assistant." Huh? Can't I see the doctor? Well, no, you see his PA for the first time and he'll determine what needs to be done and whether or not you need to see the doctor. HUH?

This is not the only time I've been given an appointment with the physician's assistant or even a nurse practitioner instead of a doctor. What's up with that? Is this some new medical protocol that I'm not aware of? I'm not saying that these talented folks are not worth seeing, but hey, I'd like to see an MD every once in a while, especially on a first visit!

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and think that a doctor's appointment should be with a doctor. Hey, if my dentist can do my routine teeth cleaning ever six months instead of having a hygenist do it, then dang it, why can't a doctor see me and take a look at my knee?

Yeah, yeah, I know. I could call another office and see if I get better results. But that would mean another round of anxiety and fear. You see, down deep, I really despise going to the doctor's office and I will avoid it until I'm either on death's door or a friend is dragging my sorry butt in there on a gurney. It's that whole judgmental assessment of 'you have this problem because you're a fat cow and if you'd lose some weight you wouldn't be here' from medical professionals that sends waves of horror through my body. But that's a post for another day.

For now, I'll just be seeing Jeff Somebody-or-other, the Physician's Assistant, tomorrow about my very painful knee.

Until Next Time,

Kel

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Hey Kel! Just catching up with all of this! I am glad that someone is going to look at your knee, but yeah, that's frustrating. I have had knee problems since high school. Good luck my friend!