Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Floor Show

As if yesterday's little trip to the mall wasn't exciting enough, I had even more excitement at the end of the day in the office. I did my version of "The Floor Show."

Late in the afternoon, I went up to my storage area to put some stuff away. I walked into the training room (I can't remember why) and caught my toe on the carpet -- and down I went. I remember twisting to avoid hitting my head on the table that was nearby, and of course, I twisted my right knee on the way to the floor. When I hit the ground, I just laid there for a minute trying to decide if I was dead or injured. I also wondered if when I fell, was I like a tree in the forest: did people downstairs in the office hear me fall? All I could do was lay there and laugh at myself for a couple of minutes while assessing the damage to this aging body of mine. The one thing I kept thinking was "if I can't get up, they'll probably never find my body up here." That part of the office is a ghost town and I'm usually the only one that goes up in that area.

I started worrying about getting up - what if I can't? The phone is on the other end of the room.... But then, I kept hearing Denise in my head: you're building your upper body strength so that if you ever fall down, you can drag yourself across the room to get the phone and call 9-1-1. Yeah, I think I could have done that, but man, there would have been some nasty carpet burns.

So, I dusted myself off, got to my feet and continued laughing at myself. It was at that point that I knew I did something to my knee.

Of course, I'm too stubborn and HAD to go to Zumba. Well, that was a mistake. My knee was killing me. I kept getting cramps just below the back of my knee (which the trainer said was likely from the twist) and my back was hurting. But, I think keeping moving helped me to not be sore and in pain this morning. I stood under the hot shower for a while and then iced my knee last night; this morning, I took a longer than normal hot shower, too.


Do you think I was done with my uncoordinated moments? Of course not! This morning I went to help an attorney with her computer and when I stepped back away from it, I managed to trip over her brief case and yep, you guessed it - I twisted that right knee AGAIN. At least I didn't have an encore performance of my Floor Show routine....

What an uncoordinated ding-dong.

Until Next Time,

Kel

1 comment:

Cathy said...

OMG, I remember doing a "Floor Show" several years back at one of my jobs. It was my first week on the job and unfortunately I had an audience there to watch me go down. I was SO embarrased!! Hurt like heck, but I wasn't about to let them know that. I also did a "Floor Show" once in the second floor of the mall when I was a teenager. Slipped on some water and went flying. My shoe flew off and almost went over the edge. Also had an audience for that one.

Hope your leg gets to feeling better soon!