Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 194: Finally! A Job Offer!!!!

It's been exactly 194 days since I was laid off.  I lost track of how many jobs I've applied for in that time, but I think it's been more than 30.  I've mostly applied online, and have only heard no's from 4 of them.  Talk about getting lost in cyberspace!

Back in August, I enlisted the help of a technical recruiter who specializes in law firms.  While I didn't want to go back to the law firm world, I figured it's the devil I know and what I'm good at, so off my resume went.  Since that time, I've heard from 2 other legal recruiters (who both got my resume from either Monster or CareerBuilder), but they were only offering shift work on help desks.  Not exactly what I was looking for.

Finally, at the beginning of October, an IT support job opened up for a law firm in San Francisco.  The description fit me perfectly:  small office of a multi-office internation firm, network support, user support and training.  That was the beginning of a nearly 6 week journey.

There was an initial phone interview, followed by a face-to-face interview the next day with the Office Manager and West Coast IT Manager; then, a face-to-face interview with the managing partner; then, a videoconference interview with the top two IT guys; and finally, a second videoconference interview with the top two HR people.  That was on Friday.

This morning, around 10:30, the phone rang. It was Stephanie, the HR Manager from Washington, D.C. (the firm's home office).  Turns out the recruiter I'm working with ended up going home with food poisoning and Stephanie didn't want to wait for her to return, so SHE OFFERED ME A JOB!!!!!

Yippee!!  Yahoo!!!  I'm doing the happy dance today!!! 

Not only did I get the offer, she said that after reviewing my skill, my years of experience and all that good stuff, they were going to offer me $4,000 more a year than they had originally said!  I couldn't say YES fast enough!

So, I'm waiting for the offer letter to arrive by FedEx tomorrow and will be heading off to work on Monday morning!!

Only 194 days of unemployment and I only have to file for 1 more check (covering the last 2 weeks).  Soon, I'll have a real paycheck in my hot little hands!!!!

Join me in doing the happy dance!!!

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: