Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Numbers Game

Do you know how many days go by in 5 months? I do. 161. Yep. 161 days. That's 3,864 hours. Or, since I've been bored lately, 231,840 minutes. I won't calculate the seconds. That would just prove how bored I am.

It's hard to believe that I was laid off 5 months ago today. It still seems like yesterday that a tenure of nearly 9 years was just tossed aside like white paper in a recycling bin. Some days, it still hurts like it was yesterday, but for the most part, I've gotten over the hurt and the anger and am just ambivalent about the whole thing. I figure their loss is the bigger one.

I went through my notes I've been taking since this started and have counted up the number of job applications I've submitted: that would be 25. Of those 25, I received exactly 1 rejection e-mail thanking me for my application. Oh, there was the 1 phone interview. That was an exciting day. 23 non-verbal "we don't want yous" is kinda hard to take.

There is the one job that the recruiter has submitted me to. It's been a week and still no word. I always say no news is good news and maybe this is the ONE. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get past the phone interview and actually get to talk to a person or two in person.

Yeah, these last 161 days have been interesting, to say the least. Oh yeah. One last number: 3. I only have 3 more unemployment checks coming my way and then that runs out.

I'm 10 times more scared than I was 5 months ago.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: