Sunday, October 25, 2009

Close Encounters of the Rodent Kind

This morning, I took my cousin Ryan to the airport. He was heading for a close encounter with a rodent. A very pleasant, charming, happy six-foot tall rodent that wears red pants and yellow shoes. And is named Mickey.


I wish I would have jumped out of the car, grabbed his ticket and headed to Anaheim myself.


Early this afternoon, I was headed to the gym for a dance class (more on that in another post!) and when I rounded the back of my car, there it was, staring right back at my on the the driveway. A rat. A very nervy, ugly, nasty, small rat.


I let out a blood curdling scream, worthy of an Oscar for best sound effect in a quiet neighborhood before Halloween.


The rat didn't move. He just stood there, staring me down. And of course, he was right in the path to the door of my car, so it's not like I could just hop in and drive away, leaving him there. No-ooooooo! He was defending what he thought was his territory.


So my next move? I started stomping my feet and yelling at the rat. Yes, that's right. Yelling at the rat. Yelling obscenities at the rat, no less. He finally moved, backing away from my car and moving ever so slowly toward Ryan's truck, which was parked next to my car. I saw my chance to jump in the car and drive away.


When I returned, the stupid rat was gone. I ran from the car to the house, hoping the stupid little thing hadn't headed in the direction of my half of the duplex. And of course, Aero had to go out for his afternoon constitutional, so I was a nervous wreck as we headed outside. I wouldn't put him down until I had thoroughly checked the yard to make sure the critter wasn't there.

I did spot him - over in the neighbor's yard. Ha! Stay over there you stupid little thing. He wasn't moving at that point, so I was hoping he had gone to rat heaven (or hell!). Aero and I happily returned to the couch.

A couple of hours later, it was time for another doggy outing. Mr. rat wasn't dead - he was back on the driveway, moving very slowly. I'm guessing he must have gotten into something that didn't agree with him and he was dying (there were flies circling his slow-moving carcass).

Each time we went out tonight, I carried Aero into the yard and did a full inspection which included a flashlight after dark. I was just afraid that it would end up in my grassy knoll and Aero would get nosey and then we'd be heading to the vet emergency room. And there's no money in the budget for that!!

So far, so good. I'm guessing Mr. rat is finding a nice place to draw his final breath - in the neighbor's yard. When the gardner comes tomorrow morning, I plan on telling him about the critter and instructing him to look for it and dispose of it where I don't have to see or smell it.

I'd really rather see Mickey.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: