Monday, June 23, 2008

It Didn't Kill Me, But Am I Stronger?

I know there's some old saying about stuff that doesn't kill you will only make you stronger... I can't remember the exact quote, but my Dad agreed with me and said he really believes that it's true.

Okay, then, I must be stronger: boot camp tried to kill me on a couple of occasions, but it didn't. Thank goodness.

Friday was the final day of the 3-week series. Of course, I managed to sleep through the alarm at 5:10 a.m. and lazily looked at the clock at 5:35, sending me into an all-out panic. I didn't want to miss the final day - that would be like giving up. So I hopped out of bed, got dressed and was in the car by 5:45, which isn't bad for someone who's a slow-poke when it comes to getting dressed, no matter how few steps are needed. I rushed into the gym at 5:59, just as Denise was getting everyone started. She smiled at me and just said "I'm glad you made it." Yeah, me too in a crazy kind of way.

The final workout was a tough one, but once it was done, I had a mixed bag of emotions surging through me. I was glad that I took the challenge and made it there each morning. I was relieved that it was over. I was happy that I got to work on a more personal level with Denise. I was pleased that some of the other women in the group accepted me for who I am and didn't care about my size.

But the odd part of it was that at the same time, I felt a little sad that it was over. Me, Miss "I Hate to Exercise," was mourning the end of boot camp. Go figure.

Even though I had some physical challenges during the last three weeks keeping up with the group, I made it. It didn't kill me to get up before dawn 3 days a week. It didn't kill me (although a few times I thought I was close!) to exercise before the chickens get up. It didn't kill me to shower and get dressed for work in the locker room. It didn't kill me to push myself to new limits.

I can truly say that I think it made me just a little stronger, both physically and mentally. I can walk on the treadmill a little faster than before. I can use 7-pound hand weights to strengthen and tone instead of 3 or 5. I can do 27 push-ups in a minute instead of 20.

And I can do anything I set my mind to do. I AM STRONGER!!

Until next time,
Kel

No comments: