Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thirty Days of Thankfulness: Day 3

I don't know why I didn't know this, but today was my Grandpa Gerding's (my Dad's Dad) birthday.

I'm thankful for the years I got to spend with my Grandpa, who was a very smart and talented man.  He worked forever at the shipyard and when he was home, had a beautiful vegetable garden in his back yard and was an avid wood worker. 

He had his "shed" in the back yard which was filled with tools and wood and paint and metal and sawdust everywhere.  He made things like birdhouses, wine racks, kid's toys, wooden vases and flowers (yes, he actually crafted flower out of wood!). 

I remember loving to go into his shed and watch him work on his projects - guess that's where I got my love of handcrafted projects from!  I can still remember the smell of the sawdust on the floor in there and the day he taught me how to use the wood lathe.

Thanks, Grandpa, for teaching a girl that it's ok to use power tools!

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: