Sunday, March 14, 2010

Guess I'm Not Good Enough....

I got an e-mail response from the Yorkshire Terrier rescue group today.  First thing, like a dork, I entered my e-mail address with a typo, so their response was bounced back.  What a dork.

But, the woman who responded figured out the correct address and re-forwarded her message to me, with a rather terse statement about my mis-spelled e-mail address on my application.  Here's what she said:

"Hi Kelly. Your application sounds good, but being gone 8-10 hours a day, probably five days a week with no other dog to keep a new dog company would not be fair. Sorry we cannot help you right now. Thank you for your interest."

ARE YOU STINKIN' KIDDING ME?

I have a nice home and a good job - I can afford to take in one of these little dogs who have been given up for any number of reasons - and you're telling me that because I work full time that I can't give one of those little guys a home?

Give me a break.

Spike, my first Yorkie, lived to be nearly 14 years old, and in that 14 years, spent at least 10 of those years as an only dog while I worked full time.  He survived and seemed ok to stay home each day by himself.  He wasn't neglected in any way - we spent lots of quality time together, including him travelling with me when I'd fly to New Orleans.

Unbelievable.

And of course, Aero spent his entire 12 years with me as the lone dog while I worked.  At first, we had some problems with separation anxiety, but worked through it and he adjusted to being home alone quite nicely.  As a matter of fact, last summer when I was unemployed, there were more days than not that he showed his displeasure with my being home and in his space disturbing his beauty sleep.

Dogs can be left alone.

I'm totally insulted, and I did send her back the following response:

Hi (Mean Nasty Person Who Won't Let Me Have a Dog):

First, my apologies for not proofreading my application and making a typo on my e-mail address. I feel like a dork.

I'm disappointed that my application is being dismissed because I work full time. What my application didn't say is that I have a dog walker that came every day I worked (and on weekends when I knew I'd be gone for long periods of time) to spend time with my Yorkie and take him out for walks for me. He was an only dog for the 12 years that we spent together.

I hope that you're able to find homes for the dogs that your organization has rescued. I'll continue my search with other breed rescue groups, even though my first love still lies with Yorkies.

Thank you for your time.

Stupid snobby people.  Guess I'll work with the Dachshund rescue people - they seem more reasonable.

Stay tuned....

Until Next Time,

Kel

 

No comments: