Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Conquered the Wall Sit!

Since my first morning in Boot Camp back in June (wow - it seems so long ago!), my nemesis has been the wall sit. Every morning of bc, we have to do the wall sit. It's a 3 minute thing. While I was doing personal training with Denise in July, I had to do the wall sit. I started calling it the evil wall sit.



When you're watching someone else do it, it looks easy. Until it's your back against the wall and your thighs are burning....



My first try at this torture at my first Boot Camp was short. The most I could hold the sit was about 30 seconds. I would have to stand so often during the 3-minutes that I felt like I was closer to doing squats than the wall sit. It became a personal challenge to me to get as close to the 3-minute mark as possible. Each workout, I'd try for just 5 more seconds when the burning got to be too much. And there were the nights at home when I'd "practice" my wall sit so that I'd get stronger and maybe could hold it longer next time.



I was pretty pleased with myself when, near the end of personal training, I could hold the sit for over 2 minutes at a time. Sometimes it was just 2 minutes, but I think I had a couple of days that I went a little longer than just 2 minutes.

Then, Monday morning, it happened. I found my place on the wall, got my feet set, and slid into that sitting position. I put my head back and closed my eyes and just listened to the beat of the music. "One minute!" Denise announced. I could hear a couple of the girls talking and laughing, but I was concentrating on one thing: getting to the 2 minute mark. Suddenly, I hear "Two minutes - one more to go!" I opened my eyes and looked around and looked down at my own legs in surprise - they weren't burning!! Could I actually make it to the 3 minute mark? I watched intently as some of the other girls had to stand up. I was still holding it. "Thirty more seconds!" By now, I'm in shock, but the legs are ready to give out.

Being the little competitive person that I am, there was no way I was going to stand up before that last 30 seconds elapsed. I didn't care if my legs fell off at that point - I needed to make that 3 minute mark.

AND I DID!!! WOO-HOO for me!! I conquered the wall sit! I conquered the wall sit!! If my legs hadn't been hurting so much by then, I think I would have done the happy dance.

Of course, the rest of the day, I kept thinking that it was just luck and a fluke that I made the 3 minute mark. Surely Wednesday's session would prove that I still couldn't do it...

HA! 3 minutes today, too!!

Take that, evil wall sit.

Until next time,
Kel

No comments: