Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Get Out of My Personal Space!

If I have to exercise, my favorite way to get some movement is water aerobics. Despite what many people think, water aerobics isn't just for the blue-haired set at the local retirement village. It can be a tough workout or can be a relaxing stretch, depening on the particular class and teacher.


When I joined the Y over a year ago, one of the selling points for me was the pool and the various water aerobics classes offered. They offer 5 classes a week that are convenient for my schedule; if I counted up the total number of water aerobic classes offered throughout the week, I'm guessing there's more than 20.

I've learned something about myself while in the pool this week: I have personal space issues. Especially when I'm exercising. Especially in the pool.

In each of the classes I've attended over the last 2 weeks (Tuesdays, Thursdays and a Saturday), there have been some new people. Before I go off on my rant, I will say that I realize that there's a learning curve for anything we do. Even I have to take some time to get used to a routine. That's not my problem. My problem is that the pool is 150 feet long, and there are 3 full lanes open for the class (about 30 feet wide), yet people have to come and stand so close during the class that there's not enough room for me to stretch my already short arms out to the sides!

I mean, come on . . . it's not like there's 200 people in the class. It's usually less than 20. There's enough room for us all to spread out and not act like a bunch of sardines.

And, while I'm on a rant, why can't people follow instructions? Move to the left when the teacher says 'travel to the left.' Or, to the right when you're told to 'travel to the right.' Here's a novel concept - go forward and backwards when you're told to do that. Oh, yeah, that also means you shouldn't be moving in any direction when you hear 'stay right there.'

These minor annoyances of mine would really be just that, except for the woman who has joined the class who can't seem to get the concept of find a place in the pool and stay put. She moves from open space to open space, doesn't even try to do the exercises correctly (she mostly just jogs in place or to her next spot in the pool) and is constantly in someone's way, either running in to them or hitting them with her hands or kicking them under the water. Last night, she ran into me 3 times. On the last time, I grabbed her arm and said "you need to move to the side of pool so you're not bumping in to me." She still didn't get it.

After talking to my friend Joyce last night about it, I told her I came to the conclusion that this annoys me because of all my years of dancing. You're taught to move in any direction in a straight line, and you never get into someone else's dancing space. She agreed, having taken tap and some ballet when she was younger. She said it's usually one of the first things you learn. At my age, I should learn to be more understanding because not everyone can do the straight line thing.

But I need you out of my space when I'm in the pool!

Until next time,
Kel

No comments: