Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Cow Kitchen Timer

Several years ago (okay, it was many years ago, but I'm not willing to admit that), a friend at work gave me a silly little cow kitchen timer.  It's a cute and handy little item, especially since I never mastered the timer feature on my stove.

It's easy to use - you wind it up, set the number of minutes you need and the bell rings appropriately.  I've used it all these years.

Today, I used the little cow timer because I was making a batch of brownies to share at at a meeting I was going to.  As I twisted the cow to set the time, I realized I hadn't used the timer in I don't know how long.  I started thinking, and really couldn't remember the last time I baked something and needed to time it.  Hmph.  Not a big deal, but one of those puzzling moments that made me wonder why I haven't used my oven and cow timer for so long.

The house was filled with the smell of brownies and the bell went off on the timer and suddenly, the tears started flowing.  It was at that moment that I realized how much I miss Aero.  No matter what that dog was doing or where he was in the house, when the cow timer's bell went off, he go racing into the kitchen baking his head off the whole way there.  Then, he'd stand in front of the stove barking at it and turning circles, excitely wagging his tail, like he knew something good was coming out of it.

And Lord help me if I didn't get to the kitchen quick enough for his furry highness.  He'd seek me out, bark at me and then run back and forth between me and the kitchen as if he was telling me to follow him.

He was such a little character.  And I still miss him terribly.

Until Next Time,

Kel

No comments: